I thought I might have some requests to see the maternity photos in succession and I will say that it is pretty amazing to see (click the image to view bigger):
Although at this p0int, there may be a 40 week photo, 41 week photo and 42 week photo. . . I just got back from the doctor this morning and there has been no progress. Which I know doesn’t really mean anything because it could happen slowly or quickly, but I think I’m being taught a lesson in patience. Which I think means. . . week 42, here we come. . .
So during this time before baby, I’ve had time to really think through the delivery and I thought I’d share our birth plan. It is a little graphic, so be warned ahead of time that these things are pretty candid and straight to the point. We are delivering in a hospital because it is significantly cheaper than delivering at a birthing center, but the hospital we are using is known for it’s flexibility and receptiveness for natural birth, which is encouraging. I know that our style of birth plan is not for everyone, but I do hope that it will challenge people to think about what options are available to them and encourage them to fully understand what is out there instead of just going with what is considered the ‘norm’ these days. I understand that everyone has different opinions and desires for having a baby and I respect the decisions that all moms make. It’s a difficult process to make all of these decisions but I believe informed decision making is a must! So please, investigate all of your options, even ones that don’t seem appealing to you. I ended up planning on an option I didn’t originally think that I would consider!
- I plan to be free to move and walk around during labor and change positions throughout labor.
- I plan to be able to have fluids by mouth throughout the first stage of labor.
- I would prefer to keep the number of vaginal exams to a minimum.
- I do not want an IV unless I become dehydrated.
- I do not wish to have continuous fetal monitoring unless it is required by the condition of my son and I do not want an internal monitor unless my son has shown some sign of distress.
- If labor is not progressing I would prefer to be allowed to try change position and other natural methods.
- I plan to have the amniotic membrane ruptured before other methods are used to augment labor. I would prefer Pitocin be the last form of induction tried.
- I realize that many pain medications exist. I’ll ask for them if I need them.
- Unless absolutely necessary, I plan to avoid a Cesarean.
- I would prefer not to have an episiotomy unless absolutely required for my son’s safety.
- I would appreciate guidance in when to push and when to stop pushing so the perineum can stretch.
- I plan to choose the position in which I give birth, including squatting.
- I would like the chance to touch my son’s head when it crowns.
- Even if I am fully dilated, and assuming my son is not in distress, I plan to try to wait until I feel the urge to push before beginning the pushing phase.
- I would like to have my son placed on my stomach/chest immediately after delivery.
Immediately After Delivery
- I plan to have my husband cut the cord and would prefer that the umbilical cord stop pulsating before it is cut.
- I plan to hold my son while I deliver the placenta and any tissue repairs are made.
- If my son must be taken from me to receive medical treatment, my husband will accompany my son at all times.
- I plan to decline the eye medication, the hepatitis B vaccination and the vitamin K shot (unless severe bruising has occurred) for the baby.
- Unless required for health reasons, I do not wish to be separated from my baby.
- I plan to breastfeed my son and would like to begin nursing very shortly after birth.
- Unless medically necessary, I do not wish to have any bottles given to my son (including glucose water or plain water).
- I do not wish to have the circumcision performed in the hospital (something interesting that I learned is that Vitamin K – the vitamin that helps with blood clotting and healing – is naturally at it’s highest level on the 8th day of life, so to me it makes sense to wait until then to do a circumcision).