Remember how I made my own wool diaper covers? Well, they work . . . alright at best. I obviously have somethings to learn about crafting my own wool diapers. So I caved and bought two ‘one size’ wool diaper covers from Little Beetle from Tiny Bird Organics. A green one and an orange one. Eventually I want a blue one but they are quite expensive. . . A friend put it to me this way – how much longer do I have of diapering Jude (at least a year, if not more) and how much more money would I be spending on disposables over time (a lot more than $80)? Obviously this, paired with the fact that I sold the other diapers, made it a worthwhile purchase. I figured two should be enough to get us back into the cloth diapering routine and they will help me better figure out how to make my own.
Let me start by saying that I LOVE these diapers. They work amazingly well. I do have to change the prefolds more frequently to keep the diapers from leaking, but that adds maybe two extra changes throughout the day. My one struggle is that they do not last through the night. I don’t know if I need to add a soaker or buy some knitted wool longies for night time use. I’m going to either teach myself to knit, or buy some on etsy. Probably the latter. 🙂 I did also buy a sock monkey diaper on etsy that has the PUL waterproofing layer sandwiched between the natural fibers. I haven’t tested it out yet, but it is similar to a disposable, so I’m thinking it could be a good babysitter diaper. I may be buying a few more of those. . .
Cool things I’ve learned about these wool diapers:
- Urine + lanoline (natural waterproofing in wool) = soap. Incredible. You don’t have to wash the diapers when they get wet. You lay them out and let them dry. Sounds gross, but they don’t smell, at all! I will have to periodically rinse and lanolize the diapers. About every two weeks is recommended.
- Two diapers is enough to get you by. Maybe not as convenient as having more, but not bad.
- They are not near as itchy as I had imagined.
- I feel like I’ve confirmed Jude’s polyester allergy. Our cloth swim diaper has polyester and we’ve been doing a lot of swimming lately. When I change him back to his prefold diaper, that familar rash starts to pop up, even wearing the swimmi for less than an hour. Not so with the wool diapers. Rash clears up and stays away. Hooray!
Onto the mistakes that I have learned that I made in making my own diapers. First off, I used the ribbing on the bottom of the sweater as the front of the wrap style diaper cover. Too stretchy. The tabbed stretched out so far that the waistband is now too big for Jude’s waist. Secondly, it seems that they need to have more than one layer. The Little Beetles have interior and exterior wool layers. I think I could mimic this pretty easily. I’m also wondering if I don’t need to wash the sweaters in hot water before I make them into diaper covers. One of my problems was the that sweaters shrunk up so small that I could barely get the length I needed out of them! I’m thinking it’s time to hit the thrift store with the new information I know about wool diapers and give diaper making another try.
Thanks to all of you for your help keeping me cloth diapering! I’m so happy that we’re on the right path again!